Saturday, March 26, 2005

Happy Birthday To You

I will never forget the day. It was 5:45 on this very day one year ago that you came into my life. I woke up that morning with contractions 2 minutes apart. You see, you were a bit late and I had two doses of Prostin the day before to help you along. I got up that morning, took a bath, tried to shave my legs but I was so huge! Called your Aunt Kathy from the tub and asked her if this was labor? She said “Yup, when you going in?” I said when will you be ready? Your Aunt Kathy is a nurse at the hospital so I figured we’d give her a ride to work. She was great to have with us too. She knew where to go, how to get past all the admissions stuff, etc. They tried to talk me out of drugs but darling, I couldn’t do it cold turkey. I NEEDED that epidural. You see, you are blessed with your Daddy’s side of the family for large heads. I pushed, and pushed, and pushed (for about 2 and a half to three hours!!)…..you were not coming out with a little assistance. That’s when the anesthesiologist came in with the second epidural, boy, I felt GREAT!!! In no time the doctors were able to snag you outta there with the forceps. I have watched you in wonder ever since.


WOW! I can’t believe it has been a year to this day since I was blessed with the most precious, beautiful gift of you. You have brought so much joy to my life and I can’t imagine ever not having you in my life. Although you are only one today, I have loved you for years and years. I have dreamt about you and wished for you for so long. I promise you my sweet angel that I will love you forever unconditionally. I will always be here for you and I will always support you in whatever you do. I feel so lucky to have you. I promise you that I am going to be the best Mommy I can be. I will teach you about love, friendship, respect, honesty and all the other stuff that Mommy’s are supposed to teach their children. I’m sure there’s a lot more I need to teach you but we’ll start there okay?

This past year has flown by. I remember bringing you home from the hospital. I was so afraid. I’ve never had so much responsibility in my life. And now I had you. Who would have thought that something that tiny would hold that much power over me. I remember just holding you and crying. Crying because I couldn’t believe that already I loved you so much that I couldn’t imagine my life without you.

And now look at you, you’re getting your first tooth just in time for your birthday, you’re pushing the furniture all over the house. I just wish you’d let go already. I promise you, if you fall, I’ll be right there. You have such a personality. I love walking into your room in the morning when you wake up and seeing you standing there, holding onto the rails, jumping up and down with your face all scrunched up. I love the way you scrunch up your face, especially when I tell you that you’re bad, you just look at me, crinkle your eyes and snort. You crack me up. No, you’re not really bad. I just say that because I think your reaction is funny. And I look forward to you cracking me up a lot through the years. I love you Olivia, you are a gift from God and I am thankful every single day for you. You are the light of my life. Happy Birthday Sweetie.

1 comment:

-LGirl- said...

HAPPY Happy Birthday!